Slight pop sound when turning

Tech discussions for the 100-series Land Cruiser, including the Lexus 470 models. Discuss suspension, snorkels, engines and all the other tech that makes a Land Cruiser. Ask questions / give answers.

New User
Vehicle:
2007 Lexus LX470
HAM Call Sign:
violet
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:00 pm
Hey all…
I have started to notice a, be it hear or feel, a slight pop sound when turning the steering wheel either way. I barely turn the wheel about 1/2 to 3/4 rotation, up to a full turn, like when backing out of the garage, and I hear/feel the slight pop; it doesn't happen all the time. I never noticed it while down in Florida (warm weather), but since I've been up in Ohio, one week now, I've started hearing it. The weather here is cold and dreary, wet too. I wonder if the cold temperatures has changed something? The weather suxs, it affects me! :(

I've had the axles checked at 90k miles, when they did the timing belt service. The axles were replaced around 75k under warranty, and every since then I worry that it has to be done again. I now have 140k. I'm not really sure why the axles were replaced, the dealer did it; recall?. A friend took and drove around in circles last weekend when I first started noticing the sound. He said by turning tight in both directions, that if a popping sound were heard/felt then it could be the drive axles; we never noticed any popping sound or feel during this test. He suggested it could be my big tires (P275/60R20 Toyo Open Country on Tundra wheels), as they do rub if the AHC is in low position and I'm turning the wheel; or the track bar? or because of freezing temps, maybe the joints have started sticking? IDK. My joints stick and hurt in the cold sometimes, maybe my LX's is feeling the cold too! :lol:

Any thoughts?
[img]IMG_1812.JPG/{img]

New User
Vehicle:
2007 Lexus LX470
HAM Call Sign:
violet
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:32 pm
Just FYI for others…
Upper control arm bushings were shot, all 4 had to be replaced. Also, one CV boot was cracked, replaced both inner and outer with Toyota brand boot kit. Axle was clean. Apparently those bushings go out about every 120k miles, so keep a close eye on them!
[img]IMG_1812.JPG/{img]
Site Admin
Vehicle:
2000 Land Cruiser, 2017 Land Cruiser
HAM Call Sign:
WE4RED
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:02 am
synergy wrote:Just FYI for others…
Upper control arm bushings were shot, all 4 had to be replaced. Also, one CV boot was cracked, replaced both inner and outer with Toyota brand boot kit. Axle was clean. Apparently those bushings go out about every 120k miles, so keep a close eye on them!

Thanks for the powt and update. Those are generally the culprits and CV axles themselves produce that click when worn, especially if the truck is lifted.

Return to 100 Series General Tech