Engine,Trans and Diff Oil Type? +Fuel type?

Tech discussions for the 100-series Land Cruiser, including the Lexus 470 models. Discuss suspension, snorkels, engines and all the other tech that makes a Land Cruiser. Ask questions / give answers.

Forum Regular

Vehicle:
01 FZJ100
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:42 pm
Hello,
I would like to know what types of oil you use in your cruisers and what you would recommend.
At the moment I use Shell Helix HX5 20w-50 for Engine Oil and OEM filter, OEM Toyota Dexron IV Type T ATF and Unknown Diff oil :D. (I live in Dubai so 10(winter) to 50(summer) Degrees celcius)
Car currently has 298,000km and 1FZ-FE Inline 6 Motor.
And What type of fuel do you use and does it make a difference? Here in the UAE we have 95 and 98 Octane, I use 98 because it's only 0.03USD more expensive.
Site Admin
Vehicle:
2000 Land Cruiser, 2017 Land Cruiser
HAM Call Sign:
WE4RED
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:28 pm
We don't get that motor in the USA so the specs for us are different.

I generally use Mobil 1 synthetic fluids in the engine and differentials. I have Redline in the transmission.

Fuel here is the USA is generally limited to 92octane (91 in California)... The 4.7 v8 engine calls for premium fuels.

New User

Vehicle:
Prado J70
HAM Call Sign:
none
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:44 pm
Hello RobRed,

Jsan here from Philippines.

I had recently acquired a 2000 LX470 and had only done the oil change with a MJ-105. MITASU GOLD SN 10W-30 ILSAC GF-5 100% Synthetic as Mobil 1 products for gasoline engines are not available here (I've seen oil for trucks though). I'm planning to change the AHC, transmission fluid and differential oils as soon as possible since I'm hearing a shifting noise from reverse-neutral-drive. But once the vehicle has warmed up, the noise is greatly reduce but still audible.

Mitasu also offer fully synthetic fluid and gear oils (https://www.mitasuoil.com/en/fluid and https://www.mitasuoil.com/en/gear-oil). Can you please advise the fluid and gear oil types and grades to use and how much in liters? I've watched on youtube how a guy did a full transmission fluid flush and would like to ask if this is something that you would recommend.

Btw, the odometer is almost 40K (yes, it is still very low for its age). But at 17 years old, would be nice to change all the oils and fluids.

Thanks in advance for your help. All the best.

Return to 100 Series General Tech